(1) I decided to make the Cambie instead of the “easy” Butterick (because I like making things harder for myself?)
(2) We are now getting married in November, not January or December.
(3) As we have had company twice in September (the month we moved across country) and we have been working to take care of moving details, I have had very little time to work on this dress. So far, I have cut out the majority of the pieces for the muslin. I did that a few days ago.
(4) I am starting to panic and am considering buying a lovely cocktail dress for this shindig.
We’ll see what happens next!
Aside: I am on Instagram now. My feed consists mostly of cats and interesting things I see around SC and during my travels. Find me @freshly_sewn!
I got all excited about Vogue 1247 after seeing so many versions of the skirt portion online. As soon as I could, I went to Hancock’s when the Vogue sale was on and bought it, along with a length of black twill (total of around $5) and the notions that are needed for the skirt.
I was perplexed by how to position the front yoke for sewing the horizontal seam that connects the pockets, the skirt front, and the front yoke. I realized that I had to flip the pockets up, so they were above the skirt front, after understitching the pockets and then match the yoke front to the rest so that both sides of the pockets lined up and so that the middle seam lined up as well. Because the front yoke and the skirt front have curved side seams, the fabric doesn’t quite lay flat as you sew the seam.
I serged most of the seams in this skirt because I am impatient and I also sew very slowly, in short bursts of activity.
Because my waist and hip measurements are 1″ larger than the measurements listed for the largest size on the envelope (18), I reduced the front darts by 0.5″ each, and I sewed the side seam starting under the point of the dart at 3/8″. I thought about doing a full butt adjustment, since that’s where most of my “hip circumference” lies, but I didn’t for this version.
I lengthened the skirt by 6 inches, going from 15″ in length to 21″. I’m 5’4″. I also plan on wearing this skirt to work and need more coverage. It all still fit on the 1 1/8 yards required by the pattern! Magical!
The cotton twill from Hancock’s is soft and fairly substantial. I bought the same type of twill for my man’s shorts, due to the softness and weight. It shows chalk marks really well and behaves on the machine.
I love the hidden pockets on the front. This will be perfect for going out dancing, when I don’t want to carry a purse.
Edit: I wrote this post three months ago! I saved it as a draft because I didn’t have any photos. Cut to the zaniness that happens after a job change (for my man), a proposal, a move, and a job change (for me). I now live in South Carolina, and let me tell you, there is a big difference between here and New Orleans, Louisiana! I’ve been adjusting to the new environment and haven’t had much time for sewing during this whole move. I did, however, purchase a tiny tripod and a remote to use with my phone, and I tried that setup for the first time yesterday to photograph this skirt. The photos aren’t the best, but they’re my first!