I was frustrated by the tent-ishness of the unaltered NL 6145, so I took it to Heather at Sew Fabulous and asked her to help me make it more fitted. She suggested that I draw (and sew) in a new waist curve and lengthen the back darts up to around my shoulder blades. I also made the new darts take in about an inch of fabric each. This is definitely an improvement over the original!
Here are some alternate views of the dress. It’s still not perfect, but it’s better. I think the lack of drape in the fabric contributes to all of the weird lumps as I move my body in the dress.
I think I might try to make this again, using the alterations that Heather helped me do, but in a knit so that I can be more comfortable and so that there can be more drape. I really would like to have a flattering woven shift with sleeves. Maybe I should also try this in something like a rayon challis.
I will work on finishing the Vogue 9021 dress within the next week and will post it as soon as I can!